Local news- Press Release
Monterey County California - Keep the holidays happy and safe for your pets 25 November 2022 ( news )
Monterey County , state California ( By Press Release office)
| 19| 2
The holidays are in full swing . Holidays bring special cards , gifts decorated with ribbons , tinsel or yarn , and special decorations like Christmas trees . Unfortunately , animals appreciate these items , as well - - and many of them can cause serious damage .
Anchor trees securely . Climbing cats and dogs with wagging tails can knock over your tree .
Hang breakable , glass ornaments well out of reach . The small glass and metal fastenings can be stepped on or even swa......llowed by your pet .
Keep tinsel , ribbons and garland out of pets’ reach , especially cats that are intrigued by them . These can become lodged in their intestines , cause obstructions and lead to surgery or death .
Clean up pine needles frequently . They can be toxic when eaten by your pet .
Prevent your pet from drinking water in the tree stand if you have added preservative chemicals . These can be poisonous to pets . Also , stagnant water can contain bacteria , which may lead to vomiting and diarrhea if ingested .
Holiday house plants
Although they add a warm touch , many plants can harm your pets . Keep these potentially dangerous bloomers well out of reach .
Lilies can be deadly to cats , and many types can cause cats to have kidney failure .
Poinsettias , although not as toxic as people often think , can upset your pet ' s digestive system .
Mistletoe , especially the berries , is highly toxic , can cause stomach upset and has the potential to cause fatal heart problems .
Holly can cause vomiting , diarrhea , nausea and lethargy .
Certain types of ivy , such as English ivy , can also cause severe harm .
Lights , candles and fragrance
Keep lights and extension cords safely secured or covered to deter chewing , which can lead to electric shock or even electrocution . Better yet , invest in pet - proof extension cords , or spray with products such as Bitter Apple or Chew Stop .
Candles can be fragrant and enticing to pets . But they can be a fire hazard if knocked over by an exuberant pet , and the fumes can be harmful to birds .
Liquid potpourri and sachets , popular during the holidays , can be very dangerous . Exposure can cause skin or oral damage to your pet and may cause illness or death .
Before you give in to the pleading eyes and feed your pet leftovers , be aware of the harmful consequences of feeding “people” food to any companion animal .
One way to reduce this temptation is to feed your pet before guests arrive , so your pet will be less likely to beg and steal food . Inform your guests of the house rules regarding your pet , such as not feeding him scraps from the table .
Also , if your guests smoke , be extra vigilant and keep nicotine and alcohol out of your pet’s reach . These can be highly toxic - - even deadly!
Below are some foods that can be harmful to your pet on holidays and year - round:
Rich , fatty foods , such as turkey skins or gravy can cause pancreatitis , an inflammation of a digestive gland , and can be very painful and serious , leading to hospitalization . Stomach upset , vomiting , and diarrhea can occur if pets consume these items . Limit table scraps , and let your guests know as well .
Any kind of bone can tear or obstruct your pet ' s intestinal tract . Make certain all bones are disposed of properly . Poultry bones can be especially dangerous or even fatal to animals .
Often used to tie the turkey during roasting , strings can tie up your pet ' s insides , too .
Found in abundance in turkey stuffing , onions are toxic and can destroy a dog ' s red blood cells , leading to anemia . Foods containing high amounts of onion powder should also be avoided .
Chocolate - - especially baking chocolate - - can actually kill your dog , so keep all such goodies well out of reach .
Chocolate can affect the nervous system and cause urinary system and heart muscle damage in your pet . It also contains theobromine , which can be especially harmful to dogs if ingested in large quantities .
In addition , keep all leftover food out of reach in a closed container . Any garbage can contain toxins such as e - coli that can affect your pet ' s organs . This includes leftover tinfoil that , when chewed , can obstruct your pet’s intestinal tract .
If your pet becomes lost , visit your local animal shelter daily to search for your pet . If you need directions to your appropriate animal shelter , call Monterey County Animal Services , 769 - 8850 . Also , be proactive . Create flyers and post throughout your neighborhood including local veterinary offices . Your pet may not be able to find its way home on its own; reaching out to the community can help them guide the way back to you .
Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents .
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below .
Windows Media Player
Press release information:
Direct link to press release
: Click here .