Local news- Press Release
Millburn Township New Jersey - Helping Families Find Formula During the Infant Formula Shortage 20 May 2022 ( news )
Millburn Township , state New Jersey ( By Press Release office)
| 48| 2
To address infant formula shortages in the wake of Abbott Nutrition’s voluntary recall of certain powdered infant formulas , the Biden - Harris Administration is working to ensure that infant formula is safe and available for families across the country . Yesterday , President Biden spoke with retailers and manufacturers , including Walmart , Target , Reckitt , and Gerber , to discuss ways to get more formula quickly and safely onto store shelves . He also announced
a series of actions
, including cutting red tape on the types of formula parents can buy , calling on the Federal Trade Commission and state attorneys general to crack down on price gouging and unfair market practices , and increasing the supply of formula through increased imports .
Thanks to these efforts , manufacturers have ramped up production 30 - 50 percent , bringing total production today above pre - recall levels with a different mix of products and sizes now available in the market . Still , it’s clear that too many families continue to encounter challenges obtaining infant formula—especially families of about 5 , 000 infants as well as some older children and adults with rare metabolic diseases that depend on specialty formulas .
If you are unable to readily find formula , please consult the following resources that may be able to assist:
Gerber’s MyGerber Baby Expert
- reach a certified nutrition or lactation consultant by phone , text , Facebook Messenger , web chat , or video call , who can help you identify a similar formula that may be more readily available
Abbott’s Consumer Hotline: call 1 - 800 - 986 - 8540
Abbott’s urgent product request line
- ask your OBGYN or your infant’s pediatrician to submit an urgent product request by downloading and
completing the form
to request limited quantities of formula for patients in need .
Reckitt’s Customer Service line
: call 1 - 800 BABY - 123 ( 222 - 9123 )
United Way’s 2 - 1 - 1
- dial 2–1 - 1 to be connected to a community resource specialist affiliated with United Way who may be able to help you identify food pantries and other charitable sources of local infant formula and baby food .
- call your local food bank to ask whether they have infant formula and other supplies in stock .
Human Milk Banking Association of North America ( HMBANA )
: certain HMBANA - accredited milk banks are distributing donated breast milk to mothers in need; please note that some may require a prescription from a medical professional .
WIC - Eligible Families
local WIC office
to identify or obtain additional sources of infant formula nearby .
Updated WIC Information
Mental Health Resources
National Maternal Mental Health Hotline: 1 - 833 - 9 - HELP4MOMS
PLAY the NEWS
* May be useful for visually impaired persons .
Press release information :
Direct link to press release
: Click here .