Equipment Operator all islands Job opening - San Juan County state Washington ( Job openings )
San Juan County , state Washington
( By Press Release office)
2022-01-06T00:00 - 2022-02-05T00:00 | 27 | 2
Range H-7 $26.82 to $35.18 per hour
Open Until Filled
The mission of San Juan County is to provide public services that are vital for the health, safety, and general well-being of our citizens. We strive to environmentally and culturally preserve the heritage of the individual islands that make up our beautiful county. Public programs are managed effectively and prudently to serve our residents. We recognize that county employees and volunteers are the foundation for providing these services. Therefore, government activities are thoughtfully conducted in a way that is ethical, fair, just, and impartial.
Submit Resume and Cover Letter to:
Human Resources, County Administration
350 Court Street, #5
55 Second Street, Room 206
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
FAX: (360) 370-5085
For information contact:
or (360) 370-7402
For the safety of our employees and the public, we are requiring Covid vaccination for current employees and new hires.
Performs all activities required for the maintenance and/or construction of publicly-owned infrastructure facilities, primarily but not limited to roads and rights of way. Work is usually performed under the direction of a supervisor or lead worker, but assignments may be performed independently and may be inspected by a supervisor upon completion for conformance with instructions and desired results.
1. 1. Operates various pieces of equipment including graders, loaders, rollers, dump trucks, distributes, backhoes, chip spreaders, air compressors and ditching machines, in the construction, maintenance and repair of roads, ditches and road rights-of-way.
2. 2. Utilizes a variety of hand and power tools such as shovels, picks, sledge hammers, jackhammers, pruning equipment, hand mechanical compactors, chainsaws and pavement saws for a variety of roadway and maintenance activities.
3. 3. Operates various pieces of equipment and hand tools such as jackhammers, transits, power weed cutters, drills, power saws and hammers, in the construction and maintenance of public works facilities such as buildings, concrete slabs, retaining walls, piers and floats and bridges, including plumbing, electrical and site preparation.
4. Performs traffic flagging activities around job site safety zones as necessary.
5. Operates chainsaws to cut trees out of right-of-way and during brush cutting operations; operates and maintains chipper as
6. Acts as lead worker for assigned projects as needed.
7. Performs routine maintenance and repair work on equipment; such as washes, greases, changes oil and filters, changes and repairs tires, fuels trucks and other equipment.
8. Responds to and interacts with private citizens in the field to provide information about work performed.
9. Repairs heavy equipment using saws, drills and hand tools, as directed.
10. Responds to emergency situations on an on-call basis.
11. Retrieves and disposes of road-kill.
12. Performs work with the highest ethical standards, in accordance with RCWs 42.23.020-070, 42.17, 42.52 and the San Juan County Personnel Policies, providing courteous and efficient service.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
Requires long periods of standing and walking and ability to traverse uneven terrain. Requires sufficient manual dexterity to operate tools, equipment, and materials. Requires the continuous use of both hands, arms, and feet, and the ability to bend, stoop, and crawl. Must be able to occasionally lift up to 70 lbs. Must be able to communicate orally and in writing and receive and understand instruction. Must be able to read and interpret plans and specifications.
Equipment/Tool Hours Daily Weekly Monthly
Utility vehicle, boats
up to 3
Variety of hand tools - jackhammer, pavement saw, chainsaw, shovel, rake, sledge hammer, post hole digger, air powered equipment.
up to 2
level equipment - 5 and 10 yard trucks, 1 ton trucks, snow plows and sanders, roller & mowers.
up to 3
level equipment - chipper, ditcher, boom truck, brush cutter
up to 2
level equipment - backhoe, chip spreader, distributor, bulldozer, grader.
up to 1.25
Maps, measuring tools
up to 2
up to 1
up to 1
up to 1
up to 1
Frequent seasonal overtime. On call during severe weather conditions for up to one week intervals. Frequent seasonal travel by small boat or airplane. Some office work required. Exposure to dangerous conditions, such as motorists, when flagging or during work on the roadsides, plowing and sanding on snow and ice. Works in trenches around utilities. Exposure to work environment hazards requiring the use of protective equipment such as hard hats, hearing protection, eye protection, respirators, steel toed boots, chaps, vests, raingear, chemical suits and gloves.
Local Job release information:
Direct link to Job Opening
: Click here