Valparaiso information


Valparaiso Departments:

FAQ ( frequently asked question )

Although City Hall is currently closed to the public, the Building Department is otherwise operating normally. Inspections will be handled in the usual manner by calling 219-462-1161 and leaving inspection request voicemail. Permit applications can be submitted via email to with plans and required documents attached or mailed to Valparaiso Building Department at 166 Lincolnway. Permit pick up will be by appointment with city’s Clerk-Treasurer’s office. The lerk-Treasurer’s office will be accepting appointments between the hours of 8:30 and noon only, Monday through Friday. Please call 219-462-1161 to schedule. Permits and inspections are still required. The Building Department is doing everything we can to minimize the impact to construction activities. ( Building Department - Valparaiso )

Anything defined as a cosmetic improvement does not require a permit. Such cosmetic improvements are: Painting and siding Trim work Flooring, landscaping, and tree trimming Electrical or plumbing appliance/fixture replacement Same size exterior door and window replacement ( Building Department - Valparaiso )

Generally, fencing may abut your side and rear property lines and must not exceed six feet in height. When erecting a fence in your front yard, the fence shall be a minimum of six inches away from a public sidewalk, no higher than four feet, and be ornamental open picket style. If you are on a corner lot, you are considered to have two front yards.  Full list of fence regulations can be found here . A permit is required before any fence may be installed. Submit your permit application and site plan showing the fence location to the Building Department prior to starting your project. ( Building Department - Valparaiso )

Simply remember the six-foot rule - keep the outer walls of the pool a minimum of six feet away from side and back yard property lines. The same goes for clearances from structures / buildings. Place it clear of any utility easements in case one of our utility companies needs to dig where you now have your pool. The pool must also be protected by use of an automatic cover that can withstand a minimum load of 1,000 pounds or by erecting a barrier of no less than four feet in height. This barrier may be a fence erected a minimum of six feet from the outer walls of the pool or it may be a security gating which affixes to the pool itself. The four-foot barrier is a state law. ( Building Department - Valparaiso )

The Building Department has adopted the following building codes: 2014 Indiana Building Code (2012 International Building Code with Indiana Amendments) 2020 Indiana Residential Code (2018 International Residential Code with Indiana Amendments) 2009 Indiana Electric Code (2008 National Electric Code with Indiana Amendments) 2012 Indiana Plumbing Code (2006 International Plumbing Code with Indiana Amendments) 2014 Indiana Mechanical Code (2012 International Mechanical Code with Indiana Amendments) 2014 Indiana Fuel Gas Code (2012 International Fuel Gas Code with Indiana Amendments) 2014 Indiana Fire Code (2012 International Fire Code with Indiana Amendments) 2010 Indiana Energy Conservation Code (ASHRAE 90.1 2007 Edition with Indiana Amendments) Indiana Swimming Pool Code Indiana Migrant Day Care Nursery Fire Safety Code Indiana Visitability Code ( Building Department - Valparaiso )

No. The ordinance calls for a one-time registration of rental units. The fee is $10 per unit. A $5 fee is charged upon change of ownership. It is the duty of the owner to keep information current with the city. ( Building Department - Rental Registration Program - Valparaiso )

Contact the Valparaiso Building Department at 219.462.1161 or by email . ( Building Department - Rental Registration Program - Valparaiso )

Yes. If the owner is not a resident of Porter County, Indiana, or a county contiguous to Porter County, the owner is required to designate an agent authorized to receive notification of complaints, damages, emergencies, substandard conditions, or other communications, including service of process. Agent information must be provided on your application. The address of any and all agents shall be within Porter County or a contiguous county. Rental Registration Application ( Building Department - Rental Registration Program - Valparaiso )

No. Rental units will only be inspected when a credible complaint has been received by the city. ( Building Department - Rental Registration Program - Valparaiso )

If the inspection has been performed and no violations are found, there is no charge. If violations are found, the owner is charged a $50 inspection fee. Once corrections have been completed, a re-inspection of the unit may be required. The fee for the first re-inspection is $75. If further re-inspections are needed, all subsequent re-inspections will be assessed a fee of $200 each. ( Building Department - Rental Registration Program - Valparaiso )

No. The rental property owner is required to maintain current tenant information. This information is only to be provided to the city for valid legal purposes, such as giving any notice, levying a fine against a tenant, or obtaining a search warrant to inspect. ( Building Department - Rental Registration Program - Valparaiso )

Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm CT ( City Hall - Valparaiso )

Please view Chapter 154 of the Valparaiso City Code to find the Property Maintenance Code.  The city’s has adopted the 2006 International Property Maintenance Code by reference with some local amendments . ( Code Enforcement - Valparaiso )

Yes, the City of Valparaiso Code prohibits debris, junk, or dense weeds or grass in excess of six inches in height from the ground on any lot. If you know of such property please contact the Code Enforcement Department at 219.462.1161. ( Code Enforcement - Valparaiso )

No. Motor vehicles shall not be parked on any front yard area not designated and approved for parking; for example, a paved driveway. The front yard is defined as the area of private property that is located between the public right-of-way and the front line of the primary structure on that property. In addition, parking on city sidewalks is prohibited. ( Code Enforcement - Valparaiso )

In all cases, the responsible party must be provided notice of the violation. They must also be provided with a reasonable time period in which to correct the violation(s). Typically, the responsible party will be sent a Notice of Code Violation by mail. Please rest assured that your complaint is important and is being handled in an appropriate manner with an attached sense of urgency. ( Code Enforcement - Valparaiso )

No. If someone in the subdivision is violating a provision of the association's bylaws, only the property owner's association has authority to enforce those regulations. The only regulations that the Code Enforcement Department can enforce are those that are included in the city's Code of Ordinances. ( Code Enforcement - Valparaiso )

Yes, all are allowed providing that no sale signs are placed in public right-of-ways, on utility poles, or street sign poles. Signs must be placed on private property only. No sales shall exceed two days and no more than three sales are allowed per year. Signs must be removed at the end of the sale. No permit is required. ( Code Enforcement - Valparaiso )

Noise from construction sites is limited to the hours between 7 am and 7 pm. ( Code Enforcement - Valparaiso )

View information on sewer permit regulations . Sometimes, a home is located in a private sewer district where additional monies are required. You can contact us by calling 219.462.1161 to see if you are in one of these districts. ( Engineering Department - Valparaiso )

Please call the office at 219.462.1161. We will be able to check our sewer maps for the location of your property. ( Engineering Department - Valparaiso )

Current Valparaiso street and zoning maps are available for purchase at the clerk treasurer’s window in City Hall, 166 Lincolnway (the old post office building in downtown Valparaiso). Small wall maps are $2, paper booklets are $2, and 11-inch-by-17-inch Xerox copies are $1. You may also download the Valparaiso City street map and Valparaiso Zoning Map .  ( Engineering Department - Valparaiso )

Yes. Only certified car seat inspectors are able to ensure that your seat is properly installed. Please call Debbie Rosenbaum at 219.462.8325. ( Fire Department - Valparaiso )

The AccuMed Group provides billing services for the fire department ambulance. Please call 888.330.5405 if you have any questions or would like to pay your bill. ( Fire Department - Valparaiso )

Yes. A tour of the fire station and trucks can be scheduled by contacting Debbie Rosenbaum at 219.462.8325. ( Fire Department - Valparaiso )

Yes. Resumes may be submitted in addition to an application. However, an application is required for each position for which you apply. City Employment Application ( Human Resources - Valparaiso )

Please submit your application and resume to the Human Resources Department Monday through Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm CT. The department is located at: 166 Lincolnway Valparaiso, IN 46383 Fx: 219.464.4273 Email ( Human Resources - Valparaiso )

Yes. Please provide a job number and title on each application as well. For additional information on our hiring practices, please contact our office at 219.462.1161. ( Human Resources - Valparaiso )

No. Contractors working with the city are assigned a prevailing wage rate. For more information, please contact the Project and Facility Management Department at 219.465.0113. ( Project & Facility Management - Valparaiso )

The city of Valparaiso observes only 6 holidays throughout the year: New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. For more information,  click here. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

If a tree in the right of way appears to be dead or in poor health, please contact Public Works at 462-4612 and request an inspection. Any necessary pruning or removal will be performed by Public Works. For more information,  click here. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Public Works has conducted inspections on all city sidewalks and necessary repairs/replacement are prioritized according to severity.  Homeowners may inquire if their sidewalk is included in scheduled work. If not, an inspection may be requested as conditions may have declined. Homeowners may replace the sidewalk at their own expense if replacement is not scheduled by Public Works. If you would like to replace your sidewalk at your own expense, please contact Public Works first.  Read more... ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Please contact our office at (219)462-4612. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

All city streets are swept at least twice each year. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Any resident wishing to place a Dumpster in a city street, alley or right of way, must file a Dumpster Permit with Public Works. There is no cost. The permit should be completed 48 hours in advance of placement and will require approval by the director. Your waste hauler must have proof of insurance and the Dumpster must be marked with reflective tape or barricades. Find the Dumpster Permit,  here. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Recycling is a great way to reduce your trash output, however, we know there are times when an extra pick up is necessary for larger items. Contact Public Works, (219) 462-4612 if you do put anything outside of your container. All items should only be placed out for collection on your trash day. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Any additional signs or change in traffic control must be recommended by the Board of Traffic and Safety. Please address your concern in writing to: City of Valparaiso, Attn: Board of Traffic and Safety, 166 W. Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN 46383. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

NIPSCO maintains the dusk to dawn lights in the city. You can contact them at 1-800-464-7726 or visit their website  here. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Yes. City Ordinance states that after any accumulation of 2 inches or more residents are required to remove their vehicle from the roadway until snow has been cleared. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Please call (219) 462-4612 and our crews will remove it off the street. The crews will not come onto residential property for pickup. If you find dead wildlife in your yard, notify the Porter County Health Department at 465-3525 for instructions on safe removal. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Grass should never be placed in your city trash or recycle containers. For more information,  click here.   ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Trash and recycling may be picked up at anytime on your collection day. Please have all items out by 7:00 am for pick up to ensure pickup. ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

In spring, Public Works will repair the damage to the lawn, filling low spots with raked topsoil and spreading grass seed. Contact Public Works at (219) 462-4612.  ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Several times during the year the Recycling & Waste Reduction District of Porter County has collection events. For more information, click here.   ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Trash & Recycling are broken down into 4 different days/sections.For more information, click here.   ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Yes, extra trash in excess of one (1) cubic yard will be charged $15 per cubic yard. Extra Trash fees will be a separate line item on your utility bill. For any extra trash/large pickup, please contact Public Works at (219) 462-4612 or visit our website, here.   ( Public Works - Valparaiso )

Single rides on the V-Line cost $1.00. Students and seniors with an ID are $0.50. Half fare cards are available for those with qualifying disabilities. Monthly passes can be purchased at City Hall for $30/month. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

You may bring two personal bags on board V-line buses. Bags may not be placed on empty seats or in the aisles. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

The V-Line is a deviated-fixed route. This means that our buses have set routes around town; however, they may 'deviate' or leave the route to drop off or pick up passengers. There are a few restrictions to the deviations. They cannot go further than 3/4 mile from the route, there can only be one deviation per hour, and deviations must be scheduled 24 hours in advance. Deviation Application ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Single rides on the DASH are $8.00. 10-Ride passes are available for $70. Monthly (calendar months) are available for $230. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

The ChicaGo DASH's Valparaiso station is located at 260 Brown Street. The DASH has three stops in downtown Chicago. There are stops at the following locations: intersection of Michigan/Randolph, intersection of LaSalle/Wacker, and 555 S. Franklin Street. Station Maps ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

There is ample overflow parking available within walking distance to the DASH pick-up in Valpo at 260 Brown street. Riders can park in the lower west lot for overflow or overnight parking.Please do not park on the end cap of the parking aisle. You may be towed or ticketed. There is also a parking garage located three blocks away at the Porter County Admin Building (155 Indiana Ave) ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

The ChicaGo DASH and V-Line are both public transportation services provided by the City of Valparaiso. The City hires a contractor through a competitive bid process to operate the two services. Currently, Royal Excursion operates both the DASH and the V-Line. The contractor hires all drivers, performs maintenance on the vehicles, and oversees the day-to-day operation of the buses while the City handles all grant funding, marketing, and administrative duties. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Pets are prohibited on both the ChicaGO DASH and V-Line this includes pets on leashes, unleashed, in carriers, purses, or carried on an individual; however, individuals with a disability may be accompanied by a service animal. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

There are bike racks on both the V-Line and Dash buses. They are available on a first-come first-serve basis. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Both the ChicaGO DASH and V-Line are first-come-first-serve services. To ensure your seat, it is always advised you arrive early at the pickup location/stop. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

No. Buses stop at designated stops only. This is to ensure buses stay on time and stop only where it is safe to do so. The V-Line does do deviations which allow for a rider to be picked up or dropped off at another location off route (certain restrictions apply, see deviations page for more information). ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

No. Federal regulations prohibit our buses from running charter service. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

No. Alcohol is strictly prohibited on board any City of Valparaiso bus. Bringing alcohol on board a bus or being intoxicated is a violation of the Code of Conduct policy and may result in the person being removed from the vehicle or suspended from using the bus services. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

No. The V-Line only stops to pick up or drop off passengers at designated V-Line bus stops. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Transfers are a way for riders to get from one area of town to another. For example, if you are picking up the Yellow Route on the west side of town, but would like to go to the Target on the east side of town, you could transfer from the Yellow Route onto the Green Route since the Yellow does not go to Target but the Green does. On your way back, you could then transfer from the Green to the Yellow. There are two transfer locations: The Heart Center on Roosevelt and at the corner of Indiana and Michigan. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Currently, V-Line monthly passes are only available at Valparaiso City Hall. Open M-F 8:30 AM-4:30 PM. Each monthly pass is good for unlimited rides for one individual for the entire calendar month. Reduced fare passes are available for individuals with a disability. To be eligible for a reduced fare, riders must complete the reduced fare application which requires a signature by your doctor and submit it to the City of Valparaiso. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

No. The Transit Connect only stops to pick up or drop off passengers at 260 Brown street Parking lot or the Dune park South Shore Train Station at boarding locations only. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

No! This is an express bus service with no route stops. Deviations are not scheduled or permitted for this service. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Yes! your V-Line or Dash monthly pass will be valid for your fare on the Transit Connect buses. All part of the community. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Active passes will be displayed under “passes in use,” which immediately appears when the Token Transit app is opened. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Single ride passes will expire 90 minutes from the time of activation. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Yes, you can view a log of your past actions by going to your Account Settings and selecting “History.” There will be a new entry every time you use a pass. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Yes, but in order to do so, you will need to make sure that you include your email address when you register your account. Receipts will be sent to the email address associated with your account. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

You are responsible for keeping your phone charged while using your pass. Refunds will not be issued if your phone’s battery dies while your pass is active. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Your passes and payment information are linked to the account associated with your phone number. They are not linked to your physical phone. Logging in with your phone number on a new device will restore your previous pass and payment information. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Yes! Anyone is eligible to schedule a deviation. You must complete the application prior to scheduling any deviations. Locations of the deviations must be 3/4 mile or less from a scheduled route and there can only be one deviation per hour. Deviation scheduling is on a first-come-first-serve basis. For the deviation application,  CLICK HERE . ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

All personal and credit card information is securely stored, using encrypted Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) compliant servers. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

The only form of payment accepted by Token Transit is credit, debit or a prepaid debit card.  ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Yes, you can purchase more than one pass, but you will need to activate each individual ride using the Token Transit app. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Passes are not transferable or replaceable. All sales are final. However, if you experience technical issues, please contact Token Transit at . ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

An internet connection is required in order to purchase your pass. An internet connection is also required to use your pass for the first time, and to refresh once each day if your pass is active for multiple days (e.g. monthly pass). ( Transportation - Valparaiso )

Should you experience any technical issues with the app, please contact Token Transit, at , or by using the “help” section of the app, under account settings which will have Token Transit email and phone number. Transportation staff can assist you with other questions at 219-476-9393. ( Transportation - Valparaiso )