Skowhegan information


Skowhegan Departments:

FAQ ( frequently asked question )

Under this newly adopted ordinance, as of July 1, 2012, Building Permits will be required from the Skowhegan Code Enforcement Office prior to the start of construction or placement of any of the following: New Residential Construction (one and two family, including modular) New Commercial / Multi Family Construction Renovations Residential Renovations Commercial / Multi Family Garage with foundation Utility Building no foundation Decks Mobile Homes (new or relocated used) Demolition of structures (residential / commercial) Pools (greater than 24 inches deep) ( Code Enforcement and Planning - Skowhegan )

Yes, you need to come in to the Code Enforcement Office for either interior or exterior plumbing permits before you begin any plumbing work. ( Code Enforcement and Planning - Skowhegan )

Yes, you can do your own plumbing and electrical work only if the building is your primary residence and you are capable of meeting all Maine State Plumbing and Electrical Codes. If the building is not your primary residence you must hire a State of Maine Licensed Plumber and or Electrician to do the work. ( Code Enforcement and Planning - Skowhegan )

In most cases there is a five (5) foot set back from your property line. This excludes subdivisions. If you are building in a subdivision please refer to your subdivision covenants for the set back distance before you begin building. ( Code Enforcement and Planning - Skowhegan )

Yes. You need to contact the Code Enforcement Office for any projects within 250 feet of most water bodies. ( Code Enforcement and Planning - Skowhegan )

Skowhegan has Flood Hazard and Shoreland Zoning, other than these there are currently no residential or commercial zoning districts in the community. ( Code Enforcement and Planning - Skowhegan )

Subdivision means the division of a tract or parcel of land into three or more lots or the placement of three or more structures within any five year period. Please contact the Planning Office with any questions and subdivision applications. ( Code Enforcement and Planning - Skowhegan )

Yes, please stop by the office to view the flood maps. ( Code Enforcement and Planning - Skowhegan )

According to the State of Maine Life Safety Code and the Town of Skowhegan Building Code, smoke alarms need to be installed in all sleeping rooms and there also needs to be one on every level of the dwelling unit, including basements. They also need to be installed on the outside of each separate sleeping area, in the immediate vicinity of the sleeping rooms. ( Code Enforcement and Planning - Skowhegan )

Yes, Maine law requires a permit, in hand, for open burning of debris. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

Yes. A burning permit is required for open debris burning, year round. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

No. A permit is not required to have a campfire on property that you own. However, the fire must be maintained to no larger than a campfire, and the fuel shall be clean wood only, no debris or lawn rakings. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

No, for several reasons. 1.All open burning must stop at midnight. Burning can resume at daybreak. 2.Depending on weather conditions, permits may not be being issued. Permits are not issued when the fire danger class is 3 or above, or when the wind is blowing over 7 mph at the fire station. 3.During the months of April and May, each year, open burning is allowed only after 5:00 PM, until midnight, under favorable weather conditions only. Permits may be issued during the day if there is a steady rain. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

Burning permits can be obtained on-line @; free of charge, between the hours of 7:00 AM and 9:00 PM.  ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

Yes. Burning permits can be issued for up to three consecutive days. However, you will need to call each day to check weather conditions and to receive approval to burn. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

No. Burning in backyard incinerators / barrels was banned in Maine several years ago. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

Yes. The fire department will inspect, for code compliance, chimneys, wood stoves, and other solid fuel appliance installations. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

Yes. The fire department can inspect chimneys and provide a determination of whether the chimney needs to be cleaned or not. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

No. The fire department does not provide chimney sweep services. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

Yes. Just contact the Fire Department to schedule a time. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

No. Rescuing cats from trees can be dangerous to both the rescuer and the animal. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

Yes. Contact the Fire Department to schedule an on-site visit for assistance. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

No. We are however, a pick up and drop off point for an area fire extinguisher sales and service company. Extinguishers may be dropped off between the hours of 7:00 AM and 9:00 PM. Extinguishers are usually returned within 1 weeks’ time. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

Yes. The department has 3 air monitors that can check for carbon monoxide. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

No the Skowhegan Fire Department does not fill swimming pools. ( Fire Department - Skowhegan )

You will need to see the Road Commissioner to fill out the application for a road opening permit. The office is located at 63 Greenwood Avenue, Skowhegan, Maine. You will need the name and address of the contractor that will be doing the digging in the road, an estimated size of pavement that will need to be removed and the Dig Safe Number (call 811 or 888-DIG-SAFE) prior to completing the application. Once the application is filled out then you deliver it to the Town Clerk's Office for payment. ( Highway Department - Skowhegan )

The Town of Skowhegan has an application form that will need to be filled out prior to construction of your entrance. This application is available at the Highway Department or you can request the application by email . ( Highway Department - Skowhegan )

If the problem is an emergency before 7:00 a.m. or after 3:30 p.m. then you should call 911 and during normal business hours / non emergency please call 207-474-6911, or you can email . ( Highway Department - Skowhegan )

First you should ensure that the line from your home to the sewer in the road is not plugged or if the sewerage is coming into your home and you are not running any water at the time then call the Skowhegan Highway Department  at 207-474-6911. ( Highway Department - Skowhegan )

If you detect any damages to the bridges in Town please call 474-6911 and if there is no answer leave a message and a phone number where you can be reached in case we have any questions. ( Highway Department - Skowhegan )

Visit the Staff Directory to find all department and staff contact information. ( Main - Skowhegan )

Use the FAQs module to easily find answers to the questions you ask the most. ( Main - Skowhegan )

You can reach us at 474-6908. Our mailing address is 225 Water Street, Skowhegan ME 04976. ( Police - Skowhegan )

The dispatch center's non-emergency line is 474-6386. ( Police - Skowhegan )

From In an emergency, call 911 or your local emergency number immediately from any wired or wireless phone. An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police, fire department or ambulance. Examples include: • A fire • A crime, especially if in progress • A car crash, especially if someone is injured • A medical emergency, such as someone who is unconscious, gasping for air or not breathing, experiencing an allergic reaction, having chest pain, having uncontrollable bleeding, or any other symptoms that require immediate medical attention Important: If you’re not sure whether the situation is a true emergency, officials recommend calling 911 and letting the call-taker determine whether you need emergency help. When you call 911, be prepared to answer the call-taker’s questions, which may include: • The location of the emergency, including the street address • The phone number you are calling from • The nature of the emergency • Details about the emergency, such as a physical description of a person who may have committed a crime, a description of any fire that may be burning, or a description of injuries or symptoms being experienced by a person having a medical emergency ( Police - Skowhegan )

Call 911 immediately. Be observant and make mental notes, including asking yourself: • Are there any weapons involved? • What is the address? • Are there any physical characteristics such as height, weight, race, beard or scars? • Can you give any clothing description? • How many people are involved? • Are the persons involved on foot or in a vehicle? ( Police - Skowhegan )

You can call our secretary, Monday through Friday, at 474-6908. ( Police - Skowhegan )

Yes, we will continue to process applications and issue concealed firearm permits. ( Police - Skowhegan ) is an excellent resource: Concealed Weapon Permit info ( Police - Skowhegan )

Yes, you can find the statement form here ( Police - Skowhegan )

Yes, you can find the bad check form here ( Police - Skowhegan )

Yes; we have the form at the police department, or you can print and fill it out at home before you come in. Security Check Form ( Police - Skowhegan )

Come to the police department with your vehicle’s registration and insurance information. A police officer will gladly issue you a permit so that you can legally drive your motor vehicle to a designated inspection station. The permit only allows you to drive the vehicle to an inspection station and is valid for two days. There is no fee. ( Police - Skowhegan )

Yes. It is unlawful for anyone under the age of 18 years of age to knowingly remain in or upon any public place between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 5:00 a.m. The ordinance also applies to minors who may be in a motor vehicle without parental supervision regardless of whether or not it is stopped, parked or mobile. It is also unlawful for a parent or guardian to knowingly allow or permit a minor to be in violation of this ordinance. ( Police - Skowhegan )

Do not give out any personal information. For learning about scams and how to avoid them, you should visit the Federal Trade Commission website: Federal Trade Commission ( Police - Skowhegan )