San Pablo information

San Pablo

San Pablo
San Pablo Departments: City Council/City Clerk s Office;City Manager;Human Resources;City Attorney s Office;Community Services;Senior Services;Youth, School, and Community Partnerships;Paratransit Services;Community Development;Business License;Planning Division;Residential Health & Safety;Economic Development;Emergency & Fire Services;Finance Department;Information Technology;Library;Police Department;Public Works / Engineering Department;Environmental Programs;Corporation Yard;

FAQ ( frequently asked question )

No, the City Attorney cannot provide legal advice to private citizens.  The following organizations may be helpful to citizens seeking legal assistance: •    Bay Area Legal Aid Legal Advice Hotline:  800-551-5554 •    Contra Costa County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service: (925) 686-6900 ( City Attorney's Office - San Pablo )

The Contra Costa County Superior Court Small Claims Division handles small claims actions.  Fur further information, please contact the Court Clerk’s Office at: (925) 608-1000. ( City Attorney's Office - San Pablo )

In most cases, crimes must be reported to the police department or other law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over the city or county where the crime occurred.  If the crime occurred in San Pablo, it should be reported to the San Pablo Police Department: ( City Attorney's Office - San Pablo )

The PRA request form can be downloaded here: Clerk/13919/PUBLIC-RECORDS-REQUEST-Editable-Form-2017   Follow the instructions on page 2 of the form regarding how to submit your Public Records Act (PRA) request.  For questions, please call (510) 215-3000. ( City Attorney's Office - San Pablo )

The cost of the permit depends on the type of work being done. Its better to call and ask if you need a permit rather than get caught without one and have to tear out your work. Call 215-3030 ( Community & Economic Development - San Pablo )

Some neighborhoods in our area are not within the boundaries of any city. They are unincorporated areas of Contra Costa County. The Post Office needs to deliver mail to these neighborhoods, so it uses the name of the nearest post office. Rollingwood, Tara Hills, Bayview and Montalvin are all unincorporated areas that have San Pablo addresses. ( Community & Economic Development - San Pablo )

Economic development means different things to different people. On a broad scale, anything a community does to foster and create a healthy economy can fall under the auspice of economic development. ( Economic Development - San Pablo )

At its heart, economic development is about building healthy economies in order to have healthy communities. These are just a few of the ways in which economic development helps communities: •§ Increased Tax Base...the additional revenue provided by economic development supports, maintains, and improves local infrastructure, such as roads, parks, libraries, and emergency medical services. •§ Job Development...economic development provides better wages, benefits, and opportunities for advancement. •§ Business Retention...businesses feel appreciated by the community and, in turn, are more likely to stay in town, contributing to the economy. •§ Economic Diversification...a diversified economic base helps expand the local economy and reduces a community's vulnerability to a single business sector. •§ Self-sufficiency...a stronger economic base means public services are less dependent on intergovernmental influences and alliances, which can change with each election. •§ Productive Use of used for its "highest and best use" maximizes the value of that property. •§ Quality of Life...more local tax dollars and jobs raise the economic tide for the entire community, including the overall standard of living of the residents. •§ Recognition of Local Products...successful economic development often occurs when locally produced goods are consumed in the local market to a greater degree. ( Economic Development - San Pablo )

The role of today's economic developer evolves continuously. An economic developer is responsible for planning, designing, and implementing economic development strategies, as well as acting as a key liaison between public and private sectors and the community. Economic developers are also instrumental in helping to leverage finances from both the public and private sectors--funding that is critical to help communities attract new businesses, facilitate enterprise development, and assist existing business with expansion and troubleshooting. ( Economic Development - San Pablo )

Because every business locates in a city or county, and it's those local-level Economic Development professionals who assist these businesses and help them thrive; thereby, creating jobs and revenues for the communities they serve. ( Economic Development - San Pablo )

Click here to view all San Pablo Facilities.  ( Facility Rentals - San Pablo )

All facility rentals are available on a first-come-first serve basis and must be made 60 days prior to the event. Deposit and application fee are due at the time the reservation is made. Reservations can be made at the San Pablo Community Center located at 2450 Road 20, San Pablo, CA. Please note: As of July 1, 2021, facility reservations are still closed.  If you would like to be put on an interest list to be notified when we will begin taking facility reservations please email Thank you for your patience and understanding. ( Facility Rentals - San Pablo )

No. Deposits and rental fees are separate. ( Facility Rentals - San Pablo )

The Alvarado Adobe, Blume House and Bunk House are open to the Public on the Second and Fourth Sunday of each month between Noon and 4 PM. Staff Permitting. Admissions is FREE. If you have any other questions please call (510) 215-3046 and leave a brief message someone will return your call. ( Historical and Museum Society - San Pablo )

Yes. Maple Hall is located at 13831 San Pablo Ave #4 at Alvarado Square inside the the City Hall Complex. Grounds include the attractive gardens, a Spanish style courtyard and a lighted water fountain that serves as a focal point in the center of the Plaza. The complex is well maintained and quiet. Fields and Facilty Reservations ( Home Page FAQ - San Pablo )

City Hall is located at 13831 San Pablo Avenue. The Personnel Office is located in Building 1. General employment questions can be referred to (510) 215-3000. TO APPLY FOR ANY CITY JOB: Go to and follow the online application system. Paper applications will not be accepted. Applications must be received via GovernmentJobs by 5:00 PM on the date listed on the job announcement. Applications not received by the posted date and time will not be considered. Employment Opportunites ( Home Page FAQ - San Pablo )

Public records, City Council resolutions and ordinances, and other information can be requested by submitting the Records and Information Request Form to the City Clerk's Office. Historical information that is not available from the City Clerk's Office can be obtain from the Civic City Historical Society. Records and Information Request Form ( Home Page FAQ - San Pablo )

The San Pablo Creekside Property Owner's Guidebook will answer your questions and will provide you with the necessary information. San Pablo Creekside Property Owner's Guidebook ( Home Page FAQ - San Pablo )

Click on the link and insert the address: San Pablo City Limit Line ( Home Page FAQ - San Pablo )

Current employment opportunities with the City of San Pablo are listed on the Employment Opportunities webpage .  General employment questions can be referred to (510) 215-3000. TO APPLY FOR ANY CITY JOB:  Go to and follow the online application system.  Applications must be received via GovernmentJobs by 5:00 P.M. on the date listed on the job announcement. Applications not received by the posted date and time will not be considered. Paper applications will not be accepted. ( Human Resources - San Pablo )

PAPER APPLICATIONS WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED. Please go to and follow the online application system. Applications must be received via GovernmentJobs by 5 00 P.M. on the date listed on the job announcement. Applications not received by the posted date and time will not be considered. Detailed city job announcements are available on the Employment Opportunities webpage . ( Human Resources - San Pablo )

Yes, the City of San Pablo encourages a well planned home addition. House additions are allowed up to the limits of the minimum setback and maximum lot coverage requirements. Refer to the answer to Question 4 for typical residential setbacks. Typical maximum lot coverage is 45%, and a Design Review permit is required "for all additions over 120 square feet" including any accessory buildings. (An accessory building is a detached, subordinate building, not designed or used for human habitation). ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

Zone changes and General Plan amendments require Planning Commission review and the approval of the City Council. Zone changes require a General Plan amendment if the proposed zoning district is not consistent with the General Plan. Planning Commission ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

The Planning Division maintains a map that shows zoning for every parcel in the City. The zoning map can be viewed in the Planning Division lobby, or anyone can call (510) 215-3030 to speak with a planner regarding specific zoning, setback, and related questions. Typical minimum setbacks in single family neighborhoods are 20 feet for front setbacks, 15 feet for rear setbacks, and side setbacks may vary from 3-6 feet. Zoning Map ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

The term setback means the required distance separating a building or structure from a property line. Setback regulations for buildings are included in the Zoning Ordinance under Title 17. Setback regulations for accessory structures are included in the Zoning Ordinance under Title 17. ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

Zoning is the establishment of various districts that include all the territory within the boundaries of the city, within which the use of land and buildings, the space for buildings, and the height and bulk of buildings are regulated. See zoning map to view districts. Zoning Map ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

This is a growing problem in the city of San Pablo. Since there is a requirement for two covered parking spaces for each single family, condominium, or apartment dwelling, converting the garage is not possible. In some instances, it may not be possible to locate a useable carport or garage on older, very small lots and still stay outside the setback areas. If the lot can accommodate an additional garage or carport to meet the parking requirement, then converting an existing garage may be possible. Consult with the Planning Division before taking on this project. ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

One "accessory building" is permitted on each parcel (note: a detached garage does not count as an accessory building). Minimum side and rear setbacks of 3 feet are required, and it is required to separate the accessory building from the primary building by at least 6 feet. If the accessory building is less than 120 square feet, no building permit is required. A building permit and Design Review is required for an accessory building of 120 square feet or larger. The height limit of an accessory building is 12 feet. ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

Yes, in almost all cases, but additional side yard setbacks may apply for added privacy. But, typically there are no restrictions to adding a second floor above an existing residence. However, a use permit and Planning Commission approval is required for lots that are 25 feet wide. ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

A parcel is the legal term for an individual property. The legal deginifion is: a parcel is a section of land that has frontage on an improved public or private street. Refer to the “Universal Terms” section under Title 17.68 of the Municipal Code for a more detailed definition for this and other terms. ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

A six-foot tall fence is allowed on property lines at the rear and sides of most residential properties. A fence up to three (3) feet is allowed within the front yard area.  A six-foot fence may be constructed in the side and rear yard area.  Refer to Section 17.45.040 of the Municipal Code for more information. ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

The Hayward Fault Zone is shown on an available map in the Planning Division. Many real estate offices also have maps of the fault zones. Check with the Planning Division at 215-3030 for specific determination of fault zone limits. ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

While these situations are often difficult to resolve, it is to the property owner's advantage to make past construction legal. It is important to determine what permits were previously issued, if any, and what construction has been inspected and properly completed. Some of the questions that will need answers include: Was a permit issued by the City? Were the permits finalized? Was any of the construction inspected but not finalized? If such information can be clarified by the Building Department or Tax Assessors’ records, the Planning Division staff will be able to provide a property owner with options for obtaining the proper permits and inspections. In these cases, it is not unusual for properties to have to demolish or reconfigure illegal work, or to obtain both Planning Division and Building Department approvals and permits for work that was done illegally. This question also applies to Residential Health and Safety inspections that discover illegal construction during a sale transaction Learn more... ( Planning and Zoning - San Pablo )

Vandalism is an ongoing problem for the City. Each tree costs $150 to replace. If you see anyone damaging street trees please call the Police at (510) 215-3130. ( Public Works - San Pablo )

Commercial streets are swept four times per month (consult signs where posted). Residential streets are swept Tuesdays or Wednesdays every other week. Only public streets are swept. Please consult the Street Sweeping/No Parking signs before you park. Tickets are $60.00! See our street sweeping Calendar and map, or (Spanish) Calendar and map for questions call (510) 215-3070. Street Sweeping ( Public Works - San Pablo )

Storm drains flow into the creeks and San Pablo and Wildcat creeks have limited capacities and are located on private property. Therefore the city can not control the creek flow or capacity. The city encourages homeowners along the creeks to help keep the drains clear of obstructions and to purchase flood insurance. ( Public Works - San Pablo )

Streets on which speed humps have been requested are evaluated for conformance with specific criteria which have been adopted by the City Council and approved by the Police and Fire Departments. These criteria include things such as the type of street, whether it's a Primary Emergency Response Route, volume of traffic, measured speed of traffic, road geometry, etc. You may call (510) 215-3060 to request an application package. ( Public Works - San Pablo )

Please call Public Works at (510) 215-3070 to report it. It is very is important to provide the address where the street light is located and the pole number, which can be found on the pole itself, we will notify PG&E so they can fix it. Or you can report it directly to PG&E's website listed below. Street Light Outage ( Public Works - San Pablo )

Call Public Works Maintenance at (510) 215-3070 to report it. We will schedule a crew to patch it. ( Public Works - San Pablo )

Yes. In fact, you probably need 2 permits. One from West County Wastewater District at (510) 222-6700, and one from the City Public Works Division (510) 215-3060 for any excavation in the street or sidewalk. Also, please note that any work in the street must be done by a licensed contractor with a Class A, C-12, C-34 or D-56 license, or a combination of a C36 and a T-1, or a C-42 and a T-1 license. ( Public Works - San Pablo )

You can register for classes online. ( Recreation - San Pablo )

We have a wide range of rooms and facilities available. We can accommodate your wedding reception, family party, or business meeting. View Facility Rentals. ( Recreation - San Pablo )

The Recreation Office is open Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm ( Recreation - San Pablo )

The Parks and Recreation Department offers a wide variety classes and camps throughout the year. For a complete listing, please view Classes and Camps. ( Recreation - San Pablo )