Plover information


Plover Departments: Administrator s Office;Assessor Department;Building Inspection;Clerk s Department;Community Development / Zoning;Finance Department;Fire Department;General Questions/Concerns;Geographic Information System (GIS) Department;Parks Department;Police Department;Investigation Bureau;Records;Patrol;Public Works Department;Refuse/Recycling-Advanced Disposal;Snow Removal;Street Conditions/Repairs;Tax Information-Portage County Treasurer;Village Board;Wastewater Department;Wastewater Department Emergency;Water Department;Water Department Emergency;Weed Complaints;Wisconsin Korean War Veterans Memorial;Zoning;

FAQ ( frequently asked question )

A revaluation is a complete and thorough review of all property assessed values. During a Village of Plover revaluation all assessed values are examined and adjustments are made where necessary to guarantee that all property is assessed at market value. This is done to assure that taxes are distributed equitably and uniformly. The last revaluation for the Village of Plover was completed as of January 1, 2005. The village reevaluates for several reasons: The Wisconsin Department of Revenue compares our current assessments to current sales (expressed as a ratio) in order to monitor if we are in compliance. If the village-wide ratio falls out of compliance (less than 90% or over 110% of fair market value), a Revaluation is necessary. In equities may exist within a specific class of property. The market values of different types of property may change at different rates. In addition, within a class such as residential property, there may be market value differences in competing neighborhoods. Inequities may also exist between classes of property. The values for residential and commercial properties may change at different rates. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

The assessor is a State certified individual whose duties are to discover, list, and place a value on all taxable real and personal property in the Village of Plover, in a uniform manner. The assessor is not involved in the collection of property taxes. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

Wisconsin Law requires that property assessed values be based on fair market value. Estimating the market value of your property in the Village of Plover is a matter of determining the price a typical buyer would pay for it in its present condition. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

Market value is defined as the amount a typical, well-informed purchaser would be willing to pay for a property. The seller and buyer must be unrelated, the seller must be willing, but not under pressure to sell, and the buyer must be willing, but not under any obligation to buy. The property must be on the market for a reasonable length of time, the payment must be in cash or its equivalent, and the financing must be typical for that type of property. If all of these conditions are present, this would be a market value, arm's-length sale. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

Wisconsin Law requires that property be valued from actual view or the best information available. We do have records on the physical characteristics of each property in the Village. To ensure an accurate assessment on a building, it is to your advantage that the assessor see the inside as well as the outside of the property. When an interior inspection is not allowed, your assessment will still be reviewed based on looking at the property from the outside, sales of properties similar to yours, and using any other available information. By denying an inspection, you may lose the right to appeal your assessment to the Board of Review. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

Your construction cost is a historical figure, which may or may not reflect the current market value of your property. It is only one element that will be considered. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

Generally speaking, improvements that increase the market value of a property will increase the assessed value. The following are typical items that will increase the assessed value of your property in the Village of Plover: Added rooms or garages Aluminum or vinyl siding Substantial modernization of kitchens or baths Central air conditioning Fireplaces Extensive remodeling ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

Good maintenance will help retain the market value of your property. Generally, your assessment will not be increased in the Village of Plover for individual minor repairs such as those that follow. However, a combination of several of these items could result in an increased assessment. Repairing concrete walks and driveways Replacing gutters and downspouts Replacing hot water heater Repairing or replacing roof Repairing porches and steps Repairing original siding Patching or repairing interior walls or ceilings Exterior painting Replacing electrical fixtures Exterior awnings and shutters Replacing screens, storm windows, and doors Exterior landscaping including lawns, shrubbery, trees, flowers and driveways of any kind ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

General economic conditions such as interest rates, inflation rates, and changes in the tax laws, will influence the value of real estate. As property values change in the market place here in the Village of Plover, those changes must be reflected on the assessment roll. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

There are differences between individual properties and between neighborhoods. In one area of the Village residential sales may indicate a substantial increase in value in a given year. In another neighborhood the increase may not be significant. Different types of properties within the same neighborhood may also show different value changes. For example, one-story houses may be more in demand than two-story houses, or vice-versa. Older homes in the same area may be rising in value more slowly than newer homes. Generally, commercial and industrial properties do not appreciate at the same rate as single family residential homes. Additional Factors There are numerous factors to be considered in the Village of Plover, which will cause each property's values to differ. Some of the factors that can affect value are location, condition, size, quality, number of baths, basement finish, garages, and many others. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

Wisconsin law requires that whenever an assessment is increased or decreased, the owner must be notified. The Village of Plover will always notify any property owners that have a change in their assessment in the spring of the year, prior to the annual Board of Review. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

You should first attempt to decide for yourself what your property is worth. This can be done by looking at area sales, contacting appraisers, and comparing assessments of similar homes. Sales and assessment information is available in our office and open to the public for review during regular office hours. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

Talk with a member of the  assessment staff  during the Open Book period. Open Book is set up primarily to answer any questions and/or concerns regarding your assessment. It is during this time period that the property owner should present to the assessor or staff any information they have concerning the property value. The assessment staff will discuss this information and other information with the property owner. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

After talking with the assessor, owners who still feel the value of the property is incorrect shall file with the Village Clerk a Notice of Intent at least 48 hours before the first meeting of the Board of Review. In addition a properly completed objection form must be filed with the Village Clerk prior to or within the first two hours of the first meeting of the Board of Review. Similar to a court, the Board of Review has the responsibility of deciding if the assessment is correct based upon oral evidence by both the taxpayer and the assessor. After hearing the evidence, the Board may decide to lower, raise or sustain the assessment. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

The Board of Review consists of the majority of Village Board members and the Village clerk. It is the Board's duty to hear sworn oral testimony from the property owner and the assessor, regarding assessed values, and to decide if the valuation is correct. Stating that property taxes are too high is not relevant testimony. The Board of Review will only hear objections to your property value-not to dissatisfaction with your tax amount. It is the property owner's responsibility to provide evidence strong enough to prove that the assessor's value is incorrect. The best evidence would be a recent arms-length sale of your property. The next best evidence would be recent arms-length sales of properties that are similar to yours. A recent appraisal of your property would also be helpful. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

The Board will either give or mail you a notice of its decision. If you do not agree with the Board of Review's determination, the notice will contain information on how you may appeal the Board's decision. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

Your share of taxes are affected by the value of your property, but the actual amount you pay is determined by the budget needs of the school, county, village, technical college, and state. Once these needs are determined, a tax rate is adopted (usually in early December) and will generate the needed dollars. Your property taxes are calculated by multiplying the tax rate by your assessment. ( Assessor's Department - Plover )

Permit applications are available online or in the Building Inspector office . For smaller jobs, it is only necessary to fill out a permit application and pay the fee. For larger projects, such as an addition, copies of the construction plans and survey must accompany application. For specific submittal details for your project, contact the Building Inspection Department. ( Building Inspector - Plover )

Permit fees for more common projects such as remodels, additions, decks, sheds and fences range in cost between $25 to $150. Fees for general remodeling and additions are charged according to the effected square footage of the altered area of construction project, plus plan review fees. If you are contemplating doing a remodeling project or an addition, please call the Building Inspector office for a more detailed explanation of the submittal requirements and permit fee charges. ( Building Inspector - Plover )

If you have an emergency dial 911. The department non-emergency phone number is 715-345-5255. View additional Police contact information . ( Police Department - Plover )

The Police Department office hours are 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. ( Police Department - Plover )

Calling our non-emergency phone number at 715-345-5255 outside of office hours will result in the call being transferred to the Portage County Sheriff's Department, who has radio contact with our officers. ( Police Department - Plover )

Calling 911 results in your call being answered through an enhanced 911 phone system. Explaining your situation to a trained dispatcher will result in proper response from medical, rescue, fire, and police services. ( Police Department - Plover )

Some of the more common emergency calls are the result of: Traffic accidents Work or home related accidents resulting in injuries Severe medical problems Crimes in progress Situations involving imminent physical danger Cries for help Drunk or reckless drivers Severe weather General calls for information or assistance or reporting crimes not in progress should go thru the non-emergency phone number at 715-345-5255. ( Police Department - Plover )

You will be asked personal information such as name, address, phone number, and you will also be asked to provide as much of a description of the incident as possible. Some of this information may include your current location, the description of a vehicle or person, direction of travel, directions to and description of your home or vehicle, whether weapons were used, and if anyone else is involved. Remember to remain calm, you can relay more information that will be better understood and speed help to you. ( Police Department - Plover )

Absolutely! Even though it is a minor offense and no real damage occurred, this may just be the start of something bigger in your neighborhood. It may also have happened the next block over, and if we don’t learn about it, we won’t know to increase patrols to watch for this type of behavior ( Police Department - Plover )

The officer will arrive as soon as possible after receiving the call, depending on workload, distance from your home, etc. Generally, response time should be within 15 minutes. The officer will then ask for information about the incident or complaint. The investigation may also require checking for physical evidence, or interviewing other family members, neighbors, etc. ( Police Department - Plover )

There may be several things that are happening including further interviews, interrogations, or evidence processing. It may also mean that there is no way to solve the complaint based on the current information in our possession. Active investigation stops only when there are no other directions to go with the complaint. It remains open, pending new leads. For answers to any questions you may have, contact the investigating officer. ( Police Department - Plover )

We file charges against a suspect with the Portage County District Attorney’s Office. From there the judicial system takes over and the suspect has his day in court. Information regarding this procedure is available in the Victim of Crime pamphlet you should have received during the initial report of the incident. ( Police Department - Plover )

Yes we do, click the below link to access the Plover Police Departments Use of Force Policy. Use of Force Policy ( Police Department - Plover )

As a consumer of Village water, you are responsible for the repair of any service leaks between the valve box in front of the house and the point it enters your home. The Village will repair any leaks between the valve box and the water main, and any leak in the main itself. ( Water Department - Plover )

To prevent your service or the pipes within your home from freezing under very cold conditions, you can take a couple of simple precautions: Interior piping and the water meter inside homes and businesses can freeze and burst if they are not protected. Interior areas should be adequately heated to protect interior plumbing from freezing. Openings to the outside should be closed and properly insulated to eliminate cold air entry. Repair broken windows, check doors, and insulate areas where cold air can leak in from the outside. Meters and interior piping located near outside walls or foundations should be insulated to prevent freezing. If insulation will not provide adequate protection, wrap pipes with heat tape or heat cables. These products plug into power outlets and generate heat to prevent freezing. Inspect heat tape for wear and replace when necessary. Hoses should be removed from outside faucets and close the valve inside the house that control those faucets. If a frozen interior pipe is suspected, turn off the water at the main shut off valve inside your home (located by the water meter) and call a plumber. A hair dryer or portable heater can be used to try and thaw the frozen pipe. Do not try to thaw a pipe with a torch or open flame. When away from home for a few days, keep the thermostat set at 55 degrees or higher. If you plan an extended stay away from home, consider having the water shut-off and possibly having your plumbing winterized. A customer may also wish to have their water meter removed. Any damage that may result from allowing a water meter to become frozen shall be paid for by the customer (or owner) of the premises. It's always a good idea to contact the utility to ask questions regarding your water options when it comes to Wisconsin winters. ( Water Department - Plover )

Contact the Village of Plover Office at 715-345-5250. They will take care of ensuring a final meter reading is taken and guide you through the process. ( Water Department - Plover )

Payment of water and sewer billings is handled by the Village Office located in the Plover Municipal Building , open Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. ( Water Department - Plover )

You usually can find your water meter in the basement of your house, toward the front wall, either in the utility room or in the closet. If you have a hard time finding your water meter, please call the Water Systems Department 715-345-5254, they will be glad to help. ( Water Department - Plover )

Over time small amounts of minerals or sediment can accumulate in the water mains. During periods of hydrant flushing, fire suppression, main break, flow testing, or other heavy use, this sediment can become disturbed and cause discoloration. If your water becomes discolored, run a cold tap in the basement or bath tub at full force until the water clears. This will usually clear in a few minutes. ( Water Department - Plover )

For the 2nd and 3rd quarter (summer months), residents receive sewer usage calculated from the 1st and 4th quarter (winter months) average water usage. ( Water Department - Plover )

There may be a main break in your area, or the water service lateral to your house may have a leak. If the reduced pressure occurs on only one faucet, you may have a plugged faucet screen. ( Water Department - Plover )

The water contains 16 to 18 grains of hardness per gallon and is considered hard. There are no harmful health effects associated with the minerals creating the hardness. In fact, some believe they are beneficial. ( Water Department - Plover )

A small amount of chlorine is added to kill any viruses or bacteria that could be present in groundwater. This harmless amount of chlorine helps keep the water protected all the way to your tap. If you are bothered by a slight chlorine smell or taste, you can fill a clean pitcher with cold water, leave the container at least partially exposed to air, and let the water sit. Most, if not all, of the chlorine will dissipate within 12 hours. The key is to not completely seal the container. ( Water Department - Plover )