Parks Specialist Job opening - Tavares state Florida ( Job openings )
Tavares , state Florida
( By Press Release office)
2022-01-06T00:00 - 2022-02-05T00:00 | 24 | 2
The Parks Specialist is a highly skilled position responsible for various duties associated with the maintenance of park grounds, nature trails, wetlands, biking trails, open turf play areas, equestrian trails and wildlife habitat areas. Incumbents in this classification receive assignments directly from the Parks Operations Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Maintains various grounds, trails and parks by performing mowing, dragging, weeding, tilling, raking, digging, hedge trimming, and other manual labor tasks;
2. Follows plans regarding the installation, care, and maintenance of various types of landscapes within the landscape system including trees, shrubs, ground cover and turf;
3. Works independently or cooperatively as a member of a team to complete work on schedule and according to quality control standards set by the Parks Manager;
4. Follows instructions regarding materials, equipment, and training to assure a safe working environment for self and other members of immediate work unit;
5. Performs litter control functions; cleans restrooms; sets up picnic and other areas;
6. Provides maintenance services to various areas which may include but are not limited to; picnic areas, native grassland and wildflower areas, playgrounds, shelters, nature trails, wetlands, biking trails, open turf play areas, equestrian trails and wildlife habitat areas;
7. Operates vehicles, performs daily checks on vehicles and safety equipment such as fluid levels, tires, lights, and a walk around check for damage. Performs daily maintenance on mowers; checking fluid levels, changing blades, cleaning air filters, checking tires, checking for damage and lubricate daily.
8. Operates equipment such as: front-end loaders, tractors, mowers, rototiller, etc.;
9. Prepares daily, monthly and annual reports as required by immediate supervisor;
10. Maintain a positive and professional attitude;
11. Required to attend training and/or continuing education as assigned by the Parks Operations Manager.
12. Participates in the implementation of City-Wide special events;
13. Assist other Divisions as necessary.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to establish and maintain a professional effective working relationship with departmental personnel, all levels of employees, City officials, other government agencies, and the general public;
2. Average writing and verbal communication skills are required;
3. Thorough working knowledge of the principles, practices and materials used in parks, grounds and care;
4. Ability to work rotating shifts including weekend duty, emergency call-out;
5. Experience in the methods and tools used in planting, removing, and maintaining landscaped areas;
6. Ability to safely operate equipment and perform job related tasks to ensure a safe environment for co-workers, residents and visitors;
7. Work effectively under pressure, deadlines, and may be subject to constant interruptions;
8. Knowledge of the principles and practices of Florida-Friendly Landscaping, to include the use of low-maintenance plants and environmentally sustainable practices.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. High school diploma or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma is preferred;
2. Minimum of two (2) years' experience performing manual labor in a landscaping, grounds keeping or parks environment;
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
1. Valid Florida Driver’s License.
2. Preferably FL Certified Landscape Technician (FCLT)
3. Incumbents of this position are required to pass the National Incident Management System (NIMS) IS-700 within 30 days of employment and the ICS-100 within 60 days of employment.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
Tasks involve the intermittent performance of physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing ladders, reaching, bending, kneeling, crouching, standing and making continuous hand/arm movements. Sufficient vision and hearing to safely and accurately perform essential functions (with or without correction) is required. Works at heights (up to 15 feet). May work in strong odors. May also require lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling of objects and materials weighting (20-50lbs). Must be available to work night, weekend and holiday shifts. On night, weekend or holiday shifts as assigned, may be required to work alone. Must be available to work in the event of a disaster to assist with recovery response efforts. On such assignments, within established policies and procedures, incumbents of this class are expected to work with considerable initiative and independent judgment in identifying and taking corrective action on the more routine problems.
Works outside with exposure to extreme weather conditions such as heat, sun, cold, wind, rain, storms, etc. Exposure to mosquitoes, flies, bees and other pests is also common. Exposure to normal traffic hazards. Occasional exposure to fumes from automotive exhaust, paints, chemicals, pesticides and fertilizers.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
Local Job release information:
Direct link to Job Opening
: Click here