Norristown information


Norristown Departments:

FAQ ( frequently asked question )

Yes. Any individual intending to rent a dwelling unit or a portion of a dwelling to non-family members must first make application to the Norristown Code Department for licensing. Please note that if the building houses more than a single family dwelling unit you will first need to apply for and obtain a zoning use registration permit. Rental License Application Once it has been determined that the zoning use is acceptable a rental license application can now be submitted to the Code Department along with the applicable fee. The dwelling(s) can now be scheduled for an inspection to insure compliance with the Municipality's property maintenance codes. A member of the code department staff will contact you to schedule a suitable date and time for the inspection. If at the conclusion of the inspection the dwelling is found to in compliance with the applicable codes the license will be issued and the dwelling unit approved for occupancy. If however defects are observed during the inspection said defects must be repaired prior to occupancy. ( Annual Rental License Requirements - Norristown )

Yes. Applications for rental licenses submitted for payment are due by November 15th of each year. Applications received after this deadline shall be subject to a penalty set by Council. ( Annual Rental License Requirements - Norristown )

Place a carbon monoxide detector near the sleeping area. A second detector should be located near the heating appliance. At least one CO detector should be battery powered. ( Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Norristown )

Get out and call 911. Do not waste time opening windows, this could be deadly. It also allows firefighters to respond with sensitive equipment to trace the source. ( Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Norristown )

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can mimic the flu. Headaches or feeling better when you leave your home are also possible symptoms. ( Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Norristown )

View previous council meeting videos .  ( Council - Norristown )

The Municipality of Norristown’s Taxpayer Bill of Rights was first adopted by Ordinance 16-01, the regulations of which were outlined in Resolution 21-46. You can read the full list of regulations in Resolution 21-46 . ( Finance Department - Norristown )

The Municipality of Norristown collects real estate taxes for Montgomery County, Montgomery County Community College, the Municipality of Norristown and if applicable, the trash fee for the Municipality of Norristown. ( Finance Department - Norristown )

The Montgomery County Board of Assessments, contacted by calling 610-278-3761, can provide assistance with changes to owner information and mailing address for property tax bills. ( Finance Department - Norristown )

The fee for tax certification is $35 per property. Requests can be submitted by phone, fax or email, but the request will not be fulfilled until payment is received. Call the Finance Department at 610-270-0431 or fax to 610-270-0445. ( Finance Department - Norristown )

Currently, online payments are only accepted for  parking ticket violations . ( Finance Department - Norristown )

The amount of the fee, $65 is the same, but they are separate fees. Residential Rental Property License The Residential Rental Property License fee is a fee per charged to residential rental property owners on a per rental unit and is paid to the Municipality of Norristown. Business Privilege License The Business Privilege License fee is the annual business owner (including Residential Rental Property owners) and is charged per business and paid to H.A Berkheimer Associates. ( Finance Department - Norristown )

No, Norristown Area School District taxes are collected by H.A. Berkheimer and Associates. They can be contacted by calling 610-599-3143 or by visiting them online . ( Finance Department - Norristown )

Contact the Norristown Police Department Parking Enforcement for information regarding the process to dispute a parking ticket. ( Finance Department - Norristown )

Consumers can now purchase and use “Class C” or “consumer-grade” fireworks that include firecrackers, Roman Candles, bottle rockets, and similar fireworks that contain a maximum of 50 milligrams of explosive material. The expansion includes those fireworks that were previously only available to out-of-state residents. “Display fireworks,” which are classified as including salutes that contain more than two grains or 130 milligrams of explosive materials, and professional-grade aerial shells containing more than 60 grams of pyrotechnic compositions, are still only to be used by professionals with a permit from the municipality where the display will take place. ( Fire Department - Norristown )

Anyone 18 years of age or older can purchase them. ( Fire Department - Norristown )

· They cannot be ignited or discharged on a public or private property without express permission of the property owner. · They cannot be discharged from or within a motor vehicle or building. · They cannot be discharged toward a motor vehicle or building. · They cannot be discharged within 150 feet of an occupied structure. · They cannot be discharged while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or another drug. ( Fire Department - Norristown )

They can be purchased at any licensed facility, including temporary ones. The licenses are issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. Examples of temporary facilities include tents or other structures found in parking lots. These temporary structures can sell fireworks between the dates of June 15-July 8, and December 21-January 2 each year. ( Fire Department - Norristown )

The Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB) is an advisory body created by state and local laws to regulate changes to buildings within the nationally-designated Norristown Historic Districts. The HARBs job is to review proposals for alterations to the exteriors of the buildings located with the HARB district as well as new construction and demolition. HARB reviews this work to protect and preserve the architectural and historical character of Norristown. ( Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB) - Norristown )

Refer to the HARB District Map (PDF) to determine if your property is located within the National Register Districts boundaries. If so any exterior work requiring a permit that will be visible from a public street must be reviewed. This includes all buildings on the parcel visible from the street (but not from an alley). Rear of Buildings The rear of buildings is not normally covered by the HARB, unless the building is on a corner, next to vacant corner lot, or the rear faces another street. Refer to a Norristown street map to determine whether the rear faces an alley or a street. Streetscape The HARB is especially concerned with changes to the permanent architectural fabric of the streetscape. Thus, substantial changes to large scale building components, such as stuccoing, or applying siding over brick, or to visually important elements, such as doors, windows, or cornices or porches, will be carefully looked at. ( Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB) - Norristown )

Items not covered by the HARB include: All interior work All work not requiring a permit (which includes most routine maintenance) All work not visible from the street Excavation Fences Landscaping Paint over wood (Norristown’s HARB, unlike many town’s, does not regulate such paint colors, but does regulate permanent colors, such as roofing or siding colors) Residential lighting Sidewalks Small things added to the facade (e.g. mailboxes, house numbers, TV antennas, satellite dishes (at least currently), utility meters, porch furniture, flower boxes, or seasonal decorations) ( Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB) - Norristown )

The National Register Historic Districts have each been divided into A and B Zones ( HARB District Map (PDF) ). The A Zone is more important visually and historically, consisting of major or “gateway” streets, or streets with stretches of grand mansions, or exceptionally well preserved or historic streetscapes. The A zone is subject to stricter regulations than the B zone. ( Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB) - Norristown )

There is no fee. However, to keep administrative costs low, the applicant is responsible for making copies of the HARB Application (PDF) and supplying the photos or other materials required, such as drawings or shingle samples. ( Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB) - Norristown )

It’s generally best that the building or business owner appear before the HARB, optionally with the contractor. The HARB will have questions which can often only be answered by the owner. Also, the HARB might present various alternatives which only the owner can, or will, agree to. If there is no one present who can effectively present the owner’s case, the HARB might have to make assumptions leading to a decision the owner might be unhappy with. Buildings in B Zone In certain routine cases, for buildings in the B zone, the preservation consultant in the Code Enforcement Office (where you get the permit) after visiting the building, might issue an “administrative approval.” This means that the permit can be issued preemptively, before the HARB meeting, and that the consultant will represent the owner at the HARB meeting. In these cases, neither the owner nor the contractor need appear. ( Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB) - Norristown )

The HARB usually meets on the 4th Wednesday of each month, except when holidays or weather interfere. Meetings are at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers located at: Norristown’s Municipal Hall 235 E Airy Street Norristown, PA 19401 Applications & Materials All applications and materials must be submitted two weeks before the meeting date. ( Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB) - Norristown )

Monday through Friday 8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.  ( Municipal Hall information - Norristown )

235 East Airy Street Norristown, PA 19401 ( Municipal Hall information - Norristown )

610-272-8080 ( Municipal Hall information - Norristown )

Please email Robert Greenway , Community Relations Sergeant, or call 610-270-0997. ( Police & Crime - Norristown )

To facilitate on street parking for residents of Norristown, parking permits exist for specific areas adjacent to some businesses industries. These permits may be obtained through the Records room, and are only issued to residents of those areas affected. Generally, the areas to which these permits apply also have time limits for parking, for non-permit vehicles. Citations Any vehicle parking within these areas needs to be moved from the block, not just the exact position parked, in accordance with the time limits. Vehicles that are not moved from the block, in accordance with these time limits, are subject to citation. More Information For more information, contact the Police Department at 610-270-0430. ( Police & Crime - Norristown )

Crash reports are available for those involved in the crash and may be obtained during normal business hours at the Records Division window. Report Costs Costs for the report are $15. Recipients pay the fee at the finance department and bring a receipt back to the Records Division at which time they receive a copy. Victims of crimes may obtain a free copy of the report filed by them. ( Police & Crime - Norristown )

A tow release can be picked up by the vehicle owner at any time of day or week at the Records Division window. The owner (or one appointed power of attorney) must present a valid driver’s license, vehicle registration and provide insurance prior receiving the release. Retrieving a Vehicle Once the release is received, the owner may go to the appropriate tow yard between 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week to get the vehicle. If the owner does not have a valid driver’s license they may still retrieve the vehicle but they must have the vehicle towed out or driven out by a licensed driver. ( Police & Crime - Norristown )

By ordinance, any vehicle that has three outstanding or unpaid parking tickets or citations is eligible to be booted and/or towed. Paying Tickets Off Once the vehicle is booted, the owner typically has 72 hours to pay the tickets off or make other arrangements through the district court on all unpaid tickets. Once the court is satisfied that all tickets are being addressed, the owner must pay all tickets that are still in “ticket” stage through the Finance Department . Boot Fee A $100 boot fee must be paid through the Finance Department for any vehicle that was originally booted whether it gets towed later or not. Vehicle Release & Impounding Once all of the aforementioned items are taken care of, the department will send an officer out to release the boot (generally within 2 hours). If a car is booted and nothing is done by the owner within the 72 hour period, the car is towed to the appropriate impound yard. To get the vehicle back the owner would have to follow all the procedures described before but also pay the impound fees. ( Police & Crime - Norristown )

Contact the Codes Department at 610-270-0441. ( Property Issues - Norristown )

Property maintenance related complaints should be reported to the Codes Department by calling the main number at 610-270-0441 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. After hours please call the hotline at 610-270-0446. A clerk will take the information and forward it to the code enforcement office. Please provided as much detail as possible to include the address where the violation exists, the condition prompting your call, times of day and the names of any individuals involved along with anything else you feel is relevant. ( Property Issues - Norristown )

Yes, you can remain request to remain anonymous. It is not the policy of the code department to divulge the names of those residents filing a complaint with the code department. Anonymous messages will be addressed to the best of our ability based on the information provided. ( Property Issues - Norristown )

The law requires that violators be notified of the condition by way of a warning notice along with a deadline for compliance. The compliance deadlines vary based on the severity of the violation and the time it would take to correct the problem, for example, high grass and weeds violations would normally require compliance within ten days while a property with peeling paint or other exterior property maintenance defects may be allotted thirty days. ( Property Issues - Norristown )

Yes, please contact the public works office at 610-270-0437. ( Property Issues - Norristown )

Please fill out a Use Registration Form (PDF) and call 610-270-0450 or return it to the Planning Department on the 2nd floor of Municipal Hall located at: 235 E Airy Street Norristown, PA 19401 ( Property Issues - Norristown )

Maintenance of sidewalks is the responsibility of the adjacent property owner. Sidewalks shall be kept free of obstructions and trash at all times. Property owners are required to shovel their sidewalks and make necessary repairs as required to meet all applicable Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and construction standards. ( Property Issues - Norristown )

The Historical Architectural Review Board (HARB) is an advisory body created by state and local laws to regulate changes to buildings within the nationally-designated Norristown Historic Districts. HARB reviews this work to protect and preserve the architectural and historical character of Norristown. HARB approval is needed for all exterior work for properties that fall within the nationally-designated Norristown Historic Districts. Lean more about HARB . ( Property Issues - Norristown )