Local news- Press Release
☷ Loudoun County Virginia - Lithium Ion Battery Causes Fire in Leesburg
Loudoun County , state Virginia ( By Press Release office)
Investigators from the Loudoun County Fire and Rescue ( LCFR ) Fire Marshal’s Office ( FMO ) have classified a fire in Leesburg on Tuesday , May 3 , 2022 , as accidental , caused by a failure of a lithium - ion battery pack during a charging cycle . The fire caused an estimated $5 million dollars in damages .
At approximately 12:30 p . m . on Tuesday , May 3 , 2022 , the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center ( ECC ) received a 911 call from a homeowner reporting a fire in their outbuilding on Woodburn Rd in Leesburg . Loudoun County Combined Fire and Rescue System units from Hamilton , Leesburg , Aldie , Purcellville , Lansdowne , and Moorefield Station were dispatched to the incident along with numerous command officers . The first unit to arrive on the scene reported a large 40 x 40 - foot outbuilding heavily involved in fire with all residents located safely on the exterior . This area of Leesburg does not have hydrants , so additional tankers were requested to supply water to the scene . Crews deployed numerous hand lines to contain and extinguish the outbuilding fire and fire that had spread to nearby trees and brush .
Following an investigation by LCFR - FMO the fire was determined to be accidental , caused by a failure of a lithium - ion battery pack during a charging cycle . The fire caused an estimated $5 million dollars in damages . There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters .
Within the past twelve months , Loudoun County has investigated seven fires who’s cause can be directly tied to charging lithium batteries These fires have caused over $6 . 8 million dollars in damages . Loudoun County Fire and Rescue urges residents to help prevent similar fires by:
Always keeping batteries , charging cords , and charging devices clear of flammable or combustible materials .
Monitoring any battery or device that is being charged during the entire charging cycle .
Stopping use of batteries immediately if you notice an odd odor , change in color or shape , excessive heat from the battery when in use or charging , leaks , or odd noises . If it is safe to do so , move the device away from anything that can catch fire or relocate the device outside the home and call 911 .
Always following the manufacturer’s instructions , and only using the battery and charging cord that is designed for the device .
Ensuring all cords and wires are not damaged or worn .
For additional fire prevention and life safety information , please visit Loudoun . gov/fireprevention or call our Public Education Manager Lisa Braun at 571 - 258 - 3222 .
Press release information:
Direct link to press release
: Click here .
Keywords and search queries from search engines related to the press release :