Local news- Press Release
☷ East Amwell Township New Jersey - From the EC Bag Ban is now in Effect
East Amwell Township , state New Jersey ( By Press Release office)
| 4| 1
From the Environmental Commission & Recycling Committee:
We ' ve prepared for the implementation of the NJ’s Plastic Pollution Reduction Act , which was signed into law by Governor Murphy November 2020 . This policy is one of the strongest in the country and is an excellent step toward reducing litter that threatens wildlife . Furthermore , the chemicals used to make these bags eventually circle back to our food chain in the form of microplastics .
New Jerseyans use 4 . 4 billion single - use plastic and 1 , 300 football fields of trees worth of paper bags every year . The law will reduce the use of these products and in turn protect the state’s 130 - mile coast line and open spaces . NJ Clean Communities will be assisting municipalities with educational efforts and giveaways of reusable bags . A Plastics Advisory Council will also be created to monitor the implementation of this policy and evaluate its effectiveness for reducing single - use plastics in NJ .
The Commission asks residents to
preparing for the change with simple swaps and will assist residents in obtaining reusables . If our recent Amwell Lake and Stream Cleanup are any indication , we should start embracing reusable products . Visit our GREEN SCENE table at the East Amwell PTO Color Run at the School on May 14th to get your reusable bag! Also - bags are available for purchase at a jaw - dropping . 99 at Shop Rite!
Here ' s a
HANDY FACT SHEET
to read about the Plastic Pollution Reduction Law
*** Our friends at Sustainable Princeton have some good tips to share , too ***
● Use what you have . If you’ve already got a closet full of bags , try them out . That may be all you need .
● Think inside the box . Consider reusing cardboard boxes or a crate to carry your groceries .
( We all have some sort of box collection ) .
● Pick a durable bag . If you are in the market for a new reusable bag , keep in mind that they typically need to be used hundreds or thousands of times to offset the carbon footprint from their manufacture .
● Find a bag you love . There are many different styles out there , so be sure to prioritize a bag you’ll be proud to carry with you .
( Now ' s the time to start a collection , have a little fun with it! )
● Consider your lifestyle . Need one that fits in a pocket or in your trunk? Lugging your groceries home by foot or loading them into your car? Pick a bag that will serve your needs .
● Go recycled . Bags made from recycled plastic typically have a low carbon footprint; however , pollution is still a concern with any plastic product .
● Understand cotton . Canvas is a delightful natural product , but since cotton has a high carbon footprint , look for bags made from recycled material ( eg , old jeans ) .
● Bring it with you . While this might seem obvious , for many of us , it’s not easy . Be sure to try out different strategies until you find a habit that sticks .
We are aware this is an adjustment and the Environmental Commission and Recycling Committee are here to provide information and opportunities to get reusables .
NJ No Plastics Information
Press release information:
Direct link to press release
: Click here .
Keywords and search queries from search engines related to the press release :