Derby information


Derby Departments: Information;Welcome Center;Administration;City Attorney;City Council;Communications;Derby Dash;Economic Development;Finance;Fire & Rescue;Human Resources;Municipal Court;Operations;Planning & Engineering;Police Department;Public Library;Public Works;Meet in Derby;Wastewater Division;Senior Services;Water;

FAQ ( frequently asked question )

Each household is limited to four dogs and four cats that are six months or older. As always, when considering adding a new canine or feline member to the family, carefully consider whether this animal fits your lifestyle, resources, and the overall animal dynamic in the household. ( Animal Control - Derby )

All animals picked up by Derby Animal Control officers within the Derby city limits are transported to the Wichita Animal Shelter at 3303 N. Hillside if the owners cannot be located. Please see our Lost Pets page for more information. ( Animal Control - Derby )

The City of Derby has laws that pertain to animal issues, including barking. To report such a situation call 911 or submit an online request so an animal control officer or a Derby Police Officer can contact you to make the appropriate report. ( Animal Control - Derby )

Dog and cat owners are required to license each animal. This is part of responsible animal ownership and providing premium care for your pet. Licensing your animal allows the City to track its animal population, producing better-informed public policies and enabling staff to contact you with pertinent information regarding your pet, if necessary. The annual fee for licensing a neutered or spayed animal is $10. The fee for non-neutered or spayed animal is $15. You can pay these fees at your vet's office or at City Hall, 611 Mulberry Rd. Your area veterinarian should be able to accommodate your licensing needs or you can get a license at your convenience at Derby City Hall, 611 Mulberry. If the animal is six months or older, proof of rabies vaccination must be shown at the time of licensing. Licenses must be renewed annually, so mark your calendar! ( Animal Control - Derby )

Every spring residents are encouraged to apply for open seats on the city's boards and commissions. See the Boards and Commissions page for more information. ( City Council - Derby )

Please read the letter and follow the instructions to become compliant.  If you have questions, call Code Enforcement at 788-0301.  ( Code Compliance - Derby )

The best way to report a code violation is by using our Submit a Request feature on our website, .  You may also call Public Works at 788-0301 to report violations. You can remain anonymous.  ( Code Compliance - Derby )

If you are building a new fence or replacing an existing fence you need a fence permit. If you are doing minor repairs (i.e. fixing/replacing less than an eight foot section or a gate) you do not need a permit. If you are not sure if you need a permit, contact Code Enforcement to help you determine if one is needed by calling 788-0301 or email .  ( Code Compliance - Derby )

Yes. Sheds or accessory structures that are 119 sq. ft. or less require an accessory structure permit. The structures that are 120 sq. ft. or larger require a building permit. ( Code Compliance - Derby )

All temporary signs, such as garage sale and real estate signs, approximately three square feet or less must be at least eight feet from the back of the curb.    ( Code Compliance - Derby )

Commercial signs must be placed on the property of the business. No off-site signs are allowed. The only exception is businesses performing work on a property in the City of Derby are allowed to place a contractor sign on the property while work is taking place. ( Code Compliance - Derby )

You may have a construction dumpster or storage pod on your property for a maximum of 45 days in a calendar year. The only exception is if there is an open/active building permit for the property. ( Code Compliance - Derby )

The Derby Dash is available Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. year round. ( Derby Dash - Derby )

No. The Dash will transport anyone who lives within the Derby city limits. ( Derby Dash - Derby )

A one way trip is $2 and round trip cost $4. Ride cards come in $4, $10, and $20 increments and can be purchased at both Derby Dillons stores, the Senior Center and City Hall (both located at 611 Mulberry Rd.), or the Derby Recreation Commission (801 E. Market St.). ( Derby Dash - Derby )

Unfortunately only people who live within the city limits may ride the Dash. ( Derby Dash - Derby )

Property tax records are maintained by the Sedgwick County Clerk's office at the Sedgwick County Courthouse, 525 N. Main Street, Wichita, KS 67203. You can view property taxes by clicking on the link On the left side of the page, click on Property Taxes and Appraisals. Please read the disclaimer and click on "I accept the above terms." Enter property street address (with direction ie. N (North) S (South), E(East) or W (West)), City and click the start search button. The website will pull up a listing of real or personal property. Click on yellow button for real property detail. This will bring up the County's records for this property. You can also pay property taxes from this webpage. If you have any questions, please call Karen Friend, Deputy City Clerk, telephone (316) 788-1519, Ext. 273. ( Finance - Derby )

Volunteer applications can be found on the department's website or they are available at either fire station from 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Applicants are interviewed in December and accepted recruits will begin training in January. Recruit classes run for 14 weeks and are held on Saturday mornings from 8 a.m.-2 p.m.. FFI/HazMat OPS is a requirement within one year of successful completion of recruit class. EMT is required within two years of successful completion of recruit class. All firefighting equipment and uniforms are provided. For more information ( Fire & Rescue - Derby )

Derby residents may call either fire station (788-5819 or 788-3773) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to schedule an appointment for an on-site inspection prior to the issuance of a burn permit. See Permit to Burn form for specific burning permit requirements. Permit to Burn Form ( Fire & Rescue - Derby )

Yes, Derby Fire & Rescue offers free smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors (when available) to Derby residents and provides them with complimentary installation for each level of their home where they are needed. Call 788-5819 or 788-3773 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to schedule an appointment. ( Fire & Rescue - Derby )

Tours can be scheduled by calling 788-5819 or 788-3773 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Provide as much advance notice as possible when requesting a tour. Station tours generally last 30 minutes to one hour. All stations are working fire stations and crews remain available for response during tours. In the event a crew is called away or unavailable at the time of your visit, we will be happy to reschedule your tour for another day. ( Fire & Rescue - Derby )

Call 9-1-1 ( Fire & Rescue - Derby )

No. Permits are not required. ( Garage Sales - Derby )

You can have a maximum of three 6 sq. ft. temporary signs on residential properties for a garage sale occurring on that property.  Signs must be placed a minimum of 8 feet from the curb. Signs should not be attached to fences, poles or trees. Signs must be removed at the conclusion of the event. ( Garage Sales - Derby )

Residents are allowed to have a garage sale once every six months. ( Garage Sales - Derby )

Garage sales can be held for three days. ( Garage Sales - Derby )

Health and dental insurance begin on the first day of the month, following one full calendar month of employment. Memberships to the YMCA and DRC begin as soon as the paperwork is submitted. Other benefits starting dates may vary. ( Human Resources - Derby )

Applicants that are not selected to continue on for testing or interviewing will receive an email informing them that they have not been selected. ( Human Resources - Derby )

Applicants will receive a confirmation email when their application is received. ( Human Resources - Derby )

To report the illegal use of fireworks, call 911. For non-emergencies (parties, noise, etc.) use the non-emergency line, 290-1011, from July 1-5 between 6 p.m. and 3 a.m. ( July 4 - Derby )

Sedgwick County will staff a fireworks/nuisance, non-emergency line, 316-290-1011 , during the following times: July 1-5, 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. This number should be used for fireworks complaints and other general nuisances, such as loud parties, during this operational period. If there is something on fire, injuries that have been sustained, fights or disturbances, or anything of a more critical nature occurring that would require the immediate assistance of law enforcement, firefighters, or EMS paramedics, citizens should call 911 directly. Citizens that call 911 for nuisance complaints during this period will be transferred over to the non-emergency line. Dispatchers staffing 911 lines will not take nuisance complaints when the non-emergency line is operational. ( July 4 - Derby )

The best rule to follow for fireworks is "shoot them where you buy them." Fireworks purchased out of state or outside the Derby city limits may be illegal to shoot here. ( July 4 - Derby )

Yes. Residents need to clean up all fireworks debris once it's safe to do so. Spent fireworks should be soaked in water before disposed of in a trash receptacle. ( July 4 - Derby )

We accept cash, checks, money orders, and credit cards (VISA, MasterCard, Discover). If you are paying by credit or debit card you may make your payment on-line or by telephone. On-line payments charge a small processing fee, but can be made 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Payments by phone have no additional charge. The municipal court judge may also authorize community service hours to be credited toward payment of fines in cases of financial hardship. For more information on this option, refer to the FAQ regarding community service. ( Municipal Court - Derby )

There is a payment drop box located at the Municipal Court Building, 229 N Baltimore, that is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A receipt will be mailed to you if you make an after hours payment. On-line payments may be made by clicking the link below. You will be required to enter the citation number and your date of birth to make a payment. There is a $1.50 processing fee. Pay Online ( Municipal Court - Derby )

The city prosecutor may offer the option of a diversion agreement for serious traffic violations such as DUI, reckless driving, no insurance and driving while suspended. Minor traffic charges may qualify for amendment to a non-moving violation. For more information on the amendment option, or to find out if you qualify for an amendment, contact the Court Clerk's office at 788-1511. ( Municipal Court - Derby )

Payment plans are routinely used in Derby Municipal Court.  In most cases, the minimum monthly payment will be set at $50.00 or an amount that will allow the balance of fines and fees to be paid in-full within 10 months.  In cases of significant financial hardship, the judge may authorize a monthly payment below the monthly minimum or allow community service to be performed in lieu of cash payment for fines. ( Municipal Court - Derby )

Community service is a program which is frequently used in Derby Municipal Court to help people with limited financial resources to pay fines.  Community service is credited at a rate of $6 per hour. By law, community service hours may only be used to pay fines.  Court costs and other fees associated with the case must be paid out-of-pocket.  For more detailed information regarding the use of community service, follow the link on the Municipal Court homepage. ( Municipal Court - Derby )

You may perform community service for any IRS registered, non-profit organization. To determine if an organization is registered as a non-profit, go to and search the name of the organization with which you wish to work. You may also contact court staff or follow the link to Helpful Forms and Documents for a list of organizations that may provide opportunities for community service. ( Municipal Court - Derby )

Remodels and Additions Accessory Structures New Fences Fence Replacement Swimming Pools Detached Garages Roof Replacement Siding Replacement (greater than 400 square feet) Lawn Sprinkler Installation Irrigation Well Installation Retaining Walls Deck (more than 30"above grade) Driveway Approaches ( Planning & Engineering - Derby )

Anytime you have an emergency that requires a police, fire or EMS response you should call 911. Call 911 to report any crime, concern, traffic accident, suspicious activity or for animal control issues. To speak with a member of the Derby Police Department, such as a detective or administrative staff call 788-1557. ( Police Department - Derby )

You may request a copy of an accident report through our Records Section. There is a $10 fee for accident reports. Our Records section is located at the police department and open 24/7. ( Police Department - Derby )

Any traffic situation that is ongoing and creates a hazard should be immediately reported to 911. If you want to make your beat officer aware of sporadic traffic concerns that do not pose an immediate danger you also have the option of reporting this online here ( Police Department - Derby )

Call the Community Education Section at 788-1557, and a staff member will provide you a free on-site assessment regarding the security of your home. ( Police Department - Derby )

We will gladly have an officer speak about crime issues in your neighborhood at your homeowner's association meeting or any community event. Call 788-1557 to make the necessary arrangements. ( Police Department - Derby )

The property owner is responsible for taking care of the public right-of-way (to the curb) and utility easement areas as they would the rest of their property. This includes trees that hang over the sidewalk and street and other landscaping in the right-of-way.  Tree and Shrub Pruning Environmental Health Code ( Public Right-of-Way - Derby )

Permanent or temporary structures and materials that restrict access to easements or utilities are prohibited. Call City Hall at 788-1519 to request approval for encroachments like fences, irrigation systems and landscaping, including street trees. ( Public Right-of-Way - Derby )

Utility companies try to limit damage to encroaching items during construction, but they are not required to replace, pay damages for or reinstall an item that impedes construction. Encroachment into an easement or right of way, even if approved, is at your risk. ( Public Right-of-Way - Derby )

A right-of-way permit is required if a resident or utility company is obstructing or excavating in the right-of-way. There is a fee that covers the city’s right-of-way management, permitting, processing and site inspections. Residents and utility companies wanting to do work (such as retaining walls, monuments, berms, etc) within the right-of-way must submit the permit application , plans and fee. ( Public Right-of-Way - Derby )

If you see a potential issue with vegetation on the lines that run from pole to pole near your house, contact Evergy at 888-471-5275. A crew member will review the vegetation’s proximity to the power line and take action if appropriate. Vegetation impacting the line that runs from a pole to your meter are the customer’s responsibility.  To learn more about about the process, visit  tree trimming and planting page . ( Public Right-of-Way - Derby )

View all property boundaries and measurements with the Sedgwick County interactive  Mobile Land Records  application at . Simply search by address, parcel identification number, street intersection, or pan/zoom to the area of interest. Property lines and measurements are on by default. ( Public Right-of-Way - Derby )

When two properties are separated by an alley/easement with no street grading, each owner next to the alley is responsible for the trees in half of the alley. For example, an alley separates two properties and the alley is 20 feet wide. Each property owner would need to care for trees that are 10 feet in to the alley.  ( Public Right-of-Way - Derby )

Leaf debris management and grass clippings are the responsibility of the property owner. Raking, sweeping or blowing grass clippings and leaves into the gutter is not allowed in Derby.  This debris can clog our stormwater inlets and cause unnecessary flooding during rainfall. View the City Ordinance Section 13.24.030 .  Street Sweeping Map ( Public Right-of-Way - Derby )

There are no membership dues. ( Senior Center - Derby )

55 years old or the spouse of someone 55 or older. ( Senior Center - Derby )

No. All Sedgwick County residents 55 and older are welcome. ( Senior Center - Derby )

Monday through Thursday 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. & Friday 7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. ( Senior Center - Derby )

You are welcome to bring friends to tour the center, but only registered seniors 55 and older can attend an event. ( Senior Center - Derby )

100% of the city's water is supplied from the City of Wichita. ( Water - Derby )

No, Derby does no add fluoride to the water. The City of Wichita, who provides our water, does not add fluoride. However, there is a small amount of fluoride naturally present in the water. ( Water - Derby )

The City of Derby tests a minimum of 25 samples per month in accordance with the Total Coliform Rule for microbiological contaminants. The results of those tests are put in a report called the CCR (consumer confidence report). It can be found on our website at A paper copy is available at City Hall and Public Works. ( Water - Derby )