Building Inspector Job opening - Town and Country state Missouri ( Job openings )
Town and Country , state Missouri
( By Press Release office)
2022-01-19T00:00 - 2022-02-18T00:00 | 28 | 2
An excellent opportunity to work for one of St. Louis County’s premier communities and join a dedicated Public Works Staff, the City of Town & Country, Missouri is seeking a motivated individual to serve as Building Inspector to administer and enforce the Building Codes of the City by performing plan reviews and conducting field inspections.
1. Review residential and commercial plans for compliance with building codes and coordinate code compliance with appropriate staff for the issuance of residential and commercial mechanical, pool, fence, demolition and sprinkler permits.
2. Conduct the inspection of permits and construction work to assure compliance with approved plans and issue violation or stop work notices when necessary.
3. Explain, interpret and provide guidance regarding all applicable codes, policies, and procedures to interested parties including but not limited to residents, contractors, developers, architects, engineers, staff, elected officials, etc.
4. Enforce City ordinances, rules and regulations pertaining to building, zoning and property maintenance of residential and commercial properties by investigating complaints of violations and taking appropriate enforcement action. Prepares correspondence and issues notices for corrections of deficiencies and coordinates with Municipal Court and City Prosecutor for non-compliance.
5. Maintain appropriate certifications through education and testing; attend education seminars and conferences related to building codes, new materials and methods of construction.
6. Maintain all files and records related to performance of duties.
7. Attend meetings of City boards and commissions as required or directed.
8. Coordinate with City Planner and Building Official on building code related issues, compliance with architectural review of new construction and planning and zoning issues as requested.
9. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite products to perform necessary job functions.
10. Erect and maintain public notice signage as necessary.
11. Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in writing, by phone and in person.
2. Ability to handle several tasks at the same time.
3. Ability to function independently and capable of making independent decisions and communicate complex ideas tactfully, both orally and in writing.
4. Ability to stand, walk, bend, stoop, and use stairs. Use of hands or fingers to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and lift arms above shoulder level to reach with hands to perform measurements.
5. Specific vision abilities required for close vision and ability to adjust focus.
6. Strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
7. Mobility and stamina to perform inspections on sites having limited access due to rough grading, uneven ground, steep slopes and/or in various stages of on-going construction.
8. Mobility and balance necessary to ascent and descent ladders or unfinished stairs without handrails and work at heights greater than 10 feet and to traverse exposed and sometimes insecure walkways and platforms.
10. Must maintain a valid, current driver’s license and be physically capable to safely operate City vehicles.
1. Partially in an office environment with controlled temperature conditions and a comfortable environment.
2. Partially in the field with occasional exposure to loud noise levels, temperature fluctuations and inclement weather conditions.
3. Work near moving construction equipment on construction sites with possible confining work spaces.
High School diploma or GED and a minimum of two (2) years general building construction or related experience are required. Experience in building inspection, construction plan review or code enforcement is preferred. Some college or vocational/technical training in building codes, zoning codes, property maintenance enforcement, building inspections is preferred. Possess the ICC Residential Building Inspector and the Property Maintenance certifications or ability to obtain within six months of hire date. Starting salary range is $62,000 to $68,000 depending on education, experience and current certifications.
The City offers an excellent benefit package including medical, dental and life insurance, and LAGERS retirement. To apply, download and complete an employment application from the City’s website and email to Public Works Director Michael Zeltmann at
or mail to Building Inspector Search, The City of Town & Country, 1011 Municipal Center Drive, Town & Country, MO 63131. Applications accepted until filled.
Local Job release information:
Direct link to Job Opening
: Click here